Thursday, March 25, 2010

Wye Mountain Daffodils




If you're ever in the vicinity of Wye Mountain in early spring, or just want a nice drive through the remote, (You'll lose all your cell phone bars) hilly countryside of Central Arkansas and a walk among millions of daffodils, this little trek is worth your time. The daffodils have been blooming on Wye Mountain almost as long as I've been alive, and I've been making the pilgrimage about every 2 years for a couple of decades. I've always had a thing for daffodils; holding them to my face and breathing in their fragrance restores me. In stressful times, I think of daffodils, and I can actually smell them. These are some photos I snapped with my trusty little PowerShot yesterday on Wye Mountain. The Canon Rebel and its fancy lenses decided to take the day off after one photo. (Annette, where are you when I need you?)



Admission is free to meander among the flowers, and there's a roped-off area for picking your own, for which you pay $1 a dozen. There's an arts and crafts barn where pretty paintings, quilts, candles, etc., created by the friendly people who attend Wye Mountain Church are sold.


You'll find many varieties of daffodils scattered about, and even on an overcast weekday like yesterday, families taking photos of pretty children everywhere. Each time I go, I'm fearful that the driveway to the fields may have been paved or that there will be motels and amusement parks sprung up just down the highway. But no. The Wye Mountain Daffodils are one of life's simple pleasures, virtually unchanged for 50 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment