Monday, June 29, 2009

Bargains


A couple of weeks ago I was garage saling, actually I go most weekends. You have to be dedicated and eternally optimistic to be a true garage sale fan because most weeks you don't find much amid the piles of toys, old clothes, logo mugs, and "As seen on TV" wonders, but once or twice a season you may find a treasure, something unique for a fraction of the cost. And so it was with my Oriental folding screen. The price tag said $25, but I got it for $15. I would have paid $50, but half the fun is getting the ultimate deal. It's in mint condition and very heavy. I put it in the master bedroom in front of the treadmill that seemed like a good idea when we bought it (full price).

I'm not a bragging person, but I do brag on my bargains. One of my best ones was nearly 20 years ago, but I still get a little thrill when I think about it. I was divorced and living on my teaching salary, and while browsing in the mall I saw the coat, dark taupe velvet with a pattern in dull gold, floor length, and scrumptuous! But it was $240 (remember this was 20 years ago), and I just couldn't justify spending that on a coat I really didn't need. But I kept thinking about it, and I visited it every couple of weeks, trying it on, imagining it as my own. Then the sales began, and I knew it wouldn't last till the final cut, so I watched, 20% off, 30% off, 40% off......it was still there, but I waited and hoped.
Finally, one Saturday I went in, and sure enough a big 75% off sign was in the window of the shop. Would my coat still be there?? Yes!! I bought it for $60!! It's not something I wear often, and yes, I still wear it, and it still looks like new.

For some of us, snagging bargains is a hobby. These days it also helps that I have a darling husband who enjoys them with me and drives me around to local garage sales like a patient chaffeur.

No comments:

Post a Comment